Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Finally over the Strawberry Slot by Terry

Terry often writes on the fishing forums about our fishing events. I thought this would be fun to have in our journal so you can see the things he notices... It only took him 1 hour to write this entry. Yes his user name is The Green Hornet. He is kinda cute I have to admit he catches my attention!

Finally over the slot at Strawberry. 4/15/2012
by TheGreenHornet » Apr 15, '12, 9:09

I finally caught a cut over the slot this afternoon and I was super excited. I told my wife that catching this fish is why I'm ok with the drive to Strawberry and getting skunked quit often just to have a chance at fish like this. Then, I might have said something that equated catching this fish with harvesting a deer during the hunts and she might have said that maybe its because the deer I get are about the same size as my fish. Ouch. I might have cried a bit.

Anyway, last weekend we fished Soldier Creek Dam and didn't even get a bite. Today, Sunday the 15th of April, we fished Strawberry's Portal bay. We fished from 11:30 to 3:30. The weather was a little cold with a little on and off snow flurries. The ice was about 100 yards off shore in that area and we the ice sheet in front of us shrunk about half its size while we were there. The ice still touched the shoreline in a lot of areas but there was plenty of spots of open water around the shores also. We had three in our fishing party and only landed 8 fish. We had about 8 additional bites that we were unsuccessful in landing. Fishing around us was about the same. Most of our success was achieved with peach colored salmon scented power bait and our biggest cutthroat being caught on a minow with a white jig. We were able to take three fish home with us so we invited the inlaws over for a fresh trout dinner cooked over the grill.

No comments: