Pages

Monday, March 30, 2009

Rock Hounding!


This weekend we set off for a quick adventure since the weather was so nasty. Instead of going camping we settled for a free room in Wendover and a long drive through nowhere to get to the Geode Beds once again. We hit Elderado once again with finding many Geodes then we headed to Topaz Mountain to try our luck.

We found the Teardrops but on Friday we didn't have any luck finding the Topaz. We came home and googled it and decided we just had to go back and give it another try. So Saturday morning we headed back to Topaz and we got lucky. We ran into a really nice couple that gave us some good tips on where to find them.

I tell you this stuff is addiciting. We got there at about 1:00 and stayed until 9:45pm. We found some nice Topaz and the kids thought it was great just digging through rocks looking for "Crystals".
Terry and I on the other hand took it as a challenge. Who could get the biggest and prettiest. Out of the two of us I think I kicked his butt. I am really determined to make some kind of necklace with the topaz I found. We will see if that works or not.

3 comments:

Deena ♥ Curtis said...

That's so cool!!! We've never had luck at Topaz Mountain.... I guess the trick is to leave and go back?? :-)

Kate said...

How fun!! I would love to learn how. Miss ya.

JaNae said...

How fun, I love that place! Looks like you found the "cove" that's where we always have the best luck. If you go back try cracking open the big rocks others have already tossed away, I found loads of crystals that way. Also walk the dry river beds, Jozie found TONS of crystals doing that method. How fun, I'm jealous we haven't been out that way this year.

BTW I ran into Terry's brother at Smith's the other day. I recognized him from your pics. I said hi, he probably thinks I am a complete weirdo/stalker ......small world :)