Pages

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Hunting or should I say Camping?

So this weekend was the opening hunt for Archery. This year Terry has both an Elk and Deer tag so he is pretty excited to get something. Me and the kids just love to go and tag along because he makes it so much fun. Well we left Friday night at like 7:00pm and we were going just north of Strawberry. We have not camped this area and didn't think it would be a problem finding somewhere to pull over and camp. Well we were wrong their were campers/hunters everywhere. Then as we were driving all over tarnation we started to smell somthing burning. It was our transmission to our suburban. Like we didn't have enough to stress about. So we found the next field we could pull over in which was near Current Creek and parked it. Then Terry pulled the four-wheelers off the trailer and said heres our bed. I was completely ready to set up the tent at 11:00pm in the dark so the bears wouldn't get me. But Terry had other plans. So I took 2 benedryl and hoped that was enough to knock me out so I wouldn't care when the bear drug me off the trailer. Well we made it through the night with out any excitement. Terry froze while the rest of us were snuggled up pretty nicely. I think Terry was afraid of me getting cold because he knew he was pushing it by making me sleep under the stars in bear territory. So the gave me and the kids the best of the best sleeping gear we had and him the 2 coldest sleeping bags we had. Just like any GREAT father would have done. We woke up to a thick layer of frost on our sleeping bags and had to wait until 11:00 for the sun to thaw and dry out our bags. Then we took a nice drive around the canyons looking for Terrys brother Troy and his kids. Troy finally found us back at the field we slept in around 12:00. We decided to nurse our vehicles out of the canyon, because his was acting up as well. Then we headed over to the south end of Strawberry for another night of torcher. Up this canyon we found it to be 3 times more crowded then we have ever seen it. And there was only one spot left which I can see why it was left alone. It was bear with no trees and about 1-2 inches of fine dusty dirt. So we made the best of it and I held my tounge once again. Don't get me wrong I love camping really I do. But I just found out I have my limits these conditions were just amost unbearable. We were all just so dirty I was almost in tears. But I think I held it together and we headed for a short night time hunt. After seeing nothing we headed back to our camp for marshmellows around the campfire.What would a camping trip be without roasting marshmellows? So we threw in some pixie sticks for a little campfire entertainment and enjoyed each others company. And I have to say for one short moment I forgot about all the dusty dirt I was going to have to face in the morning and the dog full of burrs and the dry hot sun that just wouldn't decide if it was going to be cold or hot. For one short moment everything in life seemed perfect. The next day we cleaned up camp. Which I have to say I don't understand how Troy can be there alone with 2 of his girls and get ready to go before we do. But he does it every time and it seems like he has more stuff out then we do to. I just don't get it. But then we headed down to the little stream for some good old fashion childhood memories. I love taking my shoes and socks off and wading around lookin for worms and stuff. Then we headed home and saw 2 elk but didn't get a shot off. Did you know elk can run as fast as a black stallion when they are spooked? That is what I learned on this trip.

1 comment:

Kate said...

That just doesn't sound even fun at all. I guess I am a wimp when it comes to sleeping in the cold. Just remember this is what memories are all about.
How was school for the kiddos???