Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Boys Ice Fishing Trip


We headed up to Strawberry on Satuday night for a quick overnighter. It looked like we got there just as the tail end of the storm passed. As we were setting up our QuickFish 6 tents, the full moon was shining through the light snow that was gently falling from the sky. All and all it had the makings of a great night. Little did we know that Mother Nature does this to lure us out into the wild. We settled into the fishing tent and began fishing. While we were sitting there talking about the good-ol-times, it happened. There was a loud "POP" and before we could say holy smokes, we were sitting in a blizzard. Our sleeping tent flew into our fishing tent and with a "POP" the fishing tent lifted off like a rocket and the two tents began racing across the snow covered ice. We took off after the tents and about 200 yards later we caught up to our tents and we were wondering what the crap just happened. We drug the tents back and over an hour later we were finished getting camp back together. The only thing we lost was the snowmobile, but my buddy said he thinks that he saw a green lady with a big nose and a tall black hat flying around in the sky on it.
Anyway, my brother had a 21 inch cut on his line for who knows how long and reeled it in. I think he caught it off of a green 3 inch tube and chub. Our other buddy made it through the storm and joined us for a good clean game of Hold-em. We only got three hours of sleep that night at began fishing at 8:00 a.m. The action was hot on the chub bait, but it is a new way of fishing for us and it was extremely difficult to set the hook.
I had one fish take my lure at the hole while I was trying to land it. Later I caught a 22 inch cut and when I looked in his belly to see what he had for breakfast, I found my lure from earlier. Talk about lucky, I wish I had that same luck during our game of Hold-em. Anyway, 15 feet of water and hot action on the tube jig with chub bait. It was good time. Only landed 2 cuts and 1 crawfish. We saw some nice bull elk near Heber on that North side of the canyon on the way home. P.S. this was written by Terry for a fishing forum and I stole it for my journal. I love the way he tells this story

No comments: